The Nokia E72 is a smartphone from the Nokia Eseries range. It is the successor to the Nokia E71 and is based on a similar design and form factor, and offers a similar feature set. The Nokia E72 is an enterprise-based smartphone (as it is a Nokia Eseries device) and has standard features including mobile email, calendar and instant messaging amongst many others.
The Nokia E72 has a new Optical Navi Key feature as opposed to the standard D-pad used on many other Nokia devices including the Nokia E71 - this is said to improve the ease of scrolling through menus, emails, Internet browser, and images as it is an optical sensor rather than a series of closely-spaced buttons. In comparison to its predecessor, the Nokia E72 is said to have a higher level of performance (likely due to the faster 600 MHz ARM processor) and also includes a 5 Megapixel AF camera. Other changes and improvements are software-based including changes to the user interface and built-in messaging application amongst others.
The Nokia E72 was announced on June 15, 2009 at the Nokia Connections 2009 event in Singapore.
The Nokia E73 Mode is a USA version of the E72 for T-Mobile USA, with support for T-Mobile's UMA service and Band IV support for 3G.
Features and enhancements from E7
* Symbian OS 9.3, Series 60 v3.2 UI, Feature Pack 2.
* Optical navi key, along with the conventional D-Pad
* 3.5 mm audio jack
* Ovi Maps with free lifetime drive and walk voice assisted navigation
* Use of front facing camera (video call, VGA snapshots and QCIF videos for 15 seconds)
* USB charging
* Active noise cancellation
* Magnetometer sensor
* Digital compass
* RDS support
* uPnP Media Streaming support (Not present on E73)
* UMA (E73)
* 3.5mm jack in contrast to the 2.5mm jack used in the E71.
* 12 hours of talktime(2G) instead of the E71's 10hrs (2G).
* Tri-band UMTS / HSDPA / HSUPA instead of Dual-band
* HSDPA support of up to 10.2 Mbit/s instead of 3.6
* Added HSUPA at 2.0 Mbit/s
* Improved CPU clock speed from 369 MHz to 600 MHz
* Real time Push e-mail HTML
* Improved reception from the E71's fluctuating signal reception
* 5 Megapixel camera (up from 3.2)
* VGA at 15 FPS (E72) rather than QVGA at 15 FPS (E71)
* Added flashlight feature
Available November 2009
Screen 320×240 px, 2.36 in, up to 16.7 million colours
Camera 5 megapixel (2592 x 1944 pixels) with autofocus and LED flash
Second camera Front facing
Operating system S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 UI on Symbian OS v9.3
Input QWERTY thumb keyboard, optical navigation key
CPU 600 MHz ARM11 processor
Memory 250 MB Internal user storage
ROM: 512 MB
SDRAM: 128 MB ~71 MB Free Executable RAM
Memory card MicroSDHC Hot-swappable, support for up to 16GB
GSM 800 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
Tri Band UTMS / HSPDA / HSUPA / 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz (North American Version)
Connectivity WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b,g, Integrated & Assisted GPS, Bluetooth 2.0, microUSB, 3.5 mm audio jack
Battery BP-4L, 3.7V 1,500 mAh lithium-polymer
Physical size114 x 59.5 x 10.1 mm
Weight 128 g (with battery)
FOTA (Firmware update Over The Air)
Ambient Light Sensor